What's IT all about?

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Clickers

For the first half of the semester, I have been assigned to research and discuss clickers.

Boy, do I have a lot to learn. When I first opened the email from the professor and read that I had to blog about clickers for 6 weeks...my jaw dropped. I had never even heard of them! At first I thought a clicker was some kind of laser pointer, then I fondly remembered my Yaya (Grandma) and how she used to call the remote a "clicker".

Anyway, I went on-line last night and did some research. The best way to explain a clicker to someone who is as clueless as me, is to ask you to think of the TV show "Who wants to be a Millionaire?". I'm sure we have all seen a confused, nervous, sweaty man ask Meredith to "poll the audience". Well, the remote control like devices the audience members punch their answers into are in fact clickers. And somehow or another (more on this later...maybe?!) they zap those answers to Meredith Vieira's computer screen.

Like I said, I'm just learning! I'm sure my posts will become more and more informational as the semester progresses. :)

I found a pretty good article about clickers, what they do and how they are being used at colleges and universities. Check it out:

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7002.pdf#search=%22clickers%22

I welcome your questions/comments!

Alicia

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Sparent said...

yeah, we always called the remote a clicker too - interesting to learn it has another meaning as well. Your blog looks great by the way.
Tracy

4:26 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Tracy. I was unaware of what your term clicker meant also. Your analogy to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was a great way to give an example.

Lisa

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home