What's IT all about?

Monday, September 25, 2006

Hello again! This week in class we are discussing social bookmarking. Just so you know, I didn't know anything about them until this afternoon, so bear with me while I try to explain it to you.

Have you ever added a certain webpage to your "favorites list"? Well, the idea behind social bookmarking is that people are creating their "favorites list" and placing them online for public viewing. Add some tags (labels), a variety of search functions (subject, author, popularity, etc.), a bit of blogging and there you have it.

In order to gain some personal experience with social bookmarking, I spent my evening visiting a few such sites:

LibraryThing http://www.librarything.com/

I highly recommend this site to anyone who has their books shelved by author, subject, or dewey decimal classification number, as this site allows you to recreate your library on line. Once you have created a library (it's very easy to do, you search for books by title, author or ISBN, click on the one you want...and it's in your library), you can use it to hook up with people who are reading things like you! I like it because you can use this site to keep track of all of your books, somewhat like an inventory list....oh...if only they could assign each book with a barcode :)

43 Things http://www.43things.com/

When you open this site you are asked a question, "What do you want to do with your life?" Once you have typed in your answer, you are taken to a list of people who have the same goal. Many of these people have blogged about their goals, and you are able to read and respond to them.

Well, after I though about what I wanted to do with my life, I wrote "build my dreamhouse". I opened up to a blog from a user, who, after randomly discussing her plans for her future, her plans for the house and rich people, asks her rich readers to give her $200,000 to build her dream house (because that's all she needs and some people spend more than that on dry cleaning). Interesting, huh?

Anyway, I'm sure you butt is numb from sitting here and reading all of this. I'm going to check out a few more social bookmarking sites and will be posting about them later in the week.

I'm really interested to hear about your experiences (the good, the bad, and the crazy) with social bookmarking sites.

See ya,
Alicia

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Wow Alicia! I missed the last two weeks of class, and I am still catching up. I don't know tht much about social bookmarking either, but I am sure excited to learn after reading your enthusiastic blog!

Lisa

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home