What's IT all about?

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

From iPods to laptops and even cell phones, technology is changing the way our students are learning. If you haven't guessed, this week in class we are discussing the crazy world of mobile learning.

This is all fascinating to me because I didn't have a PC until my first year of college in 1996. We watched VHS tapes back then and nobody had a cell phone, let alone an MP3 player or palm pilot (they didn't even exist!).

And now I sit curled up on the couch, doing work for my online class via my wireless laptop.

Is this way of learning better than the good old days of handwritten rough drafts and final copies? What do you think?

Alicia

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Technology is a huge part of all of our lives and I can't imagine surviving without it. I have been typing my papers since my 9th grade year in high school (1995), and I can't imagine handwriting an actual paper. Because I've been doing it for so many years, it is faster for me to type than to hand write something. I can't imagine living without spellcheck, undo, redo, copy, cut or paste. What did we do before the age of Microsoft Word when we wanted to rearrange paragraphs in our paper? Perhaps we physically cut the paragraph out and glued it on the paper. Come to think of it, I may have done that with a few of my assignments in elementary school!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Tracy Sparent said...

I know what you mean about the way things have changed - I got my first PC around the same time, but I didn't have a cell phone until just this year. But, I have to admit that getting my laptop a year ago was really great, and when I finally got the PC, and was able to toss my old typewriter, I was never so happy at the time it saved me. It is much easier to make corrections to a roughdraft when it is all right there, and all you have to do is change a sentence, or even a word, instead of rewriting the whole paper.
When I was in high school, in 80's, computers where nowhere near what they are now, so I remember living without, and I can't imagine going back to that way of doing things.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home