What's IT all about?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hello again! This week in class we are discussing iTunes and ipods and I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you why I love/hate my ipod.

As I stated in an earlier post, the New York Public Library makes audio/ebooks available for free to anyone who lives in NYS. Well, I didn't have an mp3 player and after waiting for and saving up my b-day money (literally), I rushed to Target and got a nano. Well, I was all excited, picked out a book and spent the next three hours trying to figure out how to transfer it to the nano. Come to find out...mac products are not compatible with the library's software.

So, I took the nano back and got a (much cheaper) sandisk mp3 player which fits my needs perfectly.

However, as time wore on I was beginning to tire of the audiobooks made available at the library and started to look into the site audible.com, where you can download audiobooks, for a price. It is a bit expensive, but I happened to join during a promotion where I got a free nano...so I guess it all evens out.

Now I have my ipod for audible books and my sandisk for library books! Future audiobook listeners beware!

Alicia

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I myself have a cheaper mp3 player ($40 from Target). I only use it for downloading music. However, my 16 year old daughter is the expert on ITunes, and still has to download the music to the player for me. I think she has enabled me. I'm glad to see that the audio books are so readily available. My youngest son loves getting them from the library and it helps encourage him to read. I like the fact that downloading the books makes so many more options readily available.

I would love to see the option more readily available in education, but I tend to agree with the class discussion that the risk of theft and expense are a factor that will be difficult to overcome.

Lisa

3:22 PM  
Blogger Tracy Sparent said...

great post. I actually got my mp3 player for free from a children's bookclub I joined a few years ago. I thought it would be really neat to have when I used my treadmill - couldn't think of anywhere else I might use it though, so mostly it just sits in the box in a desk drawer (guess that tells you how much time I have for the treadmill these days). It wasn't too hard to figure out how to use, but what it really came down to was what do I use it for? I do, on occasion use things like itunes to download music to my computer at work, but since I have to be able to hear the phone, I just listen through my speakers.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I never had any desire to own an iPod or other mp3 player. I always said that the only way I could justify it was if I lived in a big city where I would spend a lot of time commuting and walking. Right now I'm content popping a cd into my car or listening to my mp3's through my speakers at home.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home