What's IT all about?

Monday, October 16, 2006

This week we are discussing assistive technology. One of the sites we were urged to visit was bookshare.org, a site which makes large print books available over the Internet to people with disabilities.

I checked out this site and it looks pretty cool. For a small fee ($50/year and a one time $25 registration fee), people can download as many books as they can read (up to 100/month). The good thing about this site is that they are providing their members with real books, by that I mean books people want to read, such as bestsellers and new releases.

In order to join, you must provide proof of a visual disability in the form of a doctor's note. While it is obvious that those who are legally blind would qualify, I wonder if this site is for the elderly as well? I see the challenges my grandpa is facing now that his eyes are getting old and I think a service like this would be great for him.

Check it out:
http://www.bookshare.org

Alicia

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I wonder if there is a way the service can be provided for free to those with disabilities and the elderly. It seems as if this could be done through the public library.

Since some of our discussion this week focuses on equal access, this provides good food for thought. Perhaps equal access will extend into this area one day too (or does it already? I'm not sure.)

4:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I wonder if there is a way the service can be provided for free to those with disabilities and the elderly. It seems as if this could be done through the public library.

Since some of our discussion this week focuses on equal access, this provides good food for thought. Perhaps equal access will extend into this area one day too (or does it already? I'm not sure.)

4:17 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

What a great site! I agree with both you and lisa, that providing access for the elderly is something they should consider. This way they might be able to recieve more funding and perhaps make it free?

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home