What's IT all about?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hello everyone--

This week in class we are discussing Cyber Security and I am learning so much. Up until now, I have been very lax with putting my information out there. If I want to buy something online--I type my credit card number and address in, no questions asked. It doesn't matter if it is Old Navy, or some random little store in the boonies that is selling home made goods. After realizing that I have been playing Russian Roulette with my personal information, I now know that I need to be more careful.

Anyway, even though I'm bad, kids are much worse and they are not shy about telling anyone anything. One of the things that immediately comes to mind is Dateline NBC's "To catch a predator". It is amazing to me that after all this time, they are still catching tons of people trying to hook up with underage kids.

And with kids spending so much time on the Internet...who is responsible for teaching them about safety? I belive that that responsibility belongs to both teachers and parents. For example, at the middle school where I sub, the computer teacher is now doing a lesson about My Space and what info kids should and should not be giving out. In addition to lessons like this, I think parents should be very aware of the sites their kids are hanging out on, what they are downloading and who they are talking to.

Alicia

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Sparent said...

I totally agree with you that internet safety for kids has to start at home. It is really up to parents to help teach their kids how to be safe online. As parents we teach our children all about staying away from strangers, and going out in groups - the buddy system, but for some reason when it comes to the internet, we just assume that our children are safe. This is something that really has to change.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It is very scary to think of how easy it is for people to gain access to our personal information and to our children. Knowledge is power, and the Internet certainly is one of the greatest providers of knowledge to our current world. Unfortunately, knowledge is also being provided to people that do intentional harm.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home