What's IT all about?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

This week in class we are discussing webinars...pretty interesting stuff. Once again, I am amazed at the things technology is allowing us to do. I think that is great that webinars/distance learning classes provide students a way to take courses that might not otherwise be available to them.

That being said, I am a bit weary of anything that is so dependent on technology. What happens if the system is fritzing out? How do you take a test? Is there someone around to monitor the students? How would a student make up any work/lectures/activities missed while absent?

I would like to learn more about this...maybe when I start looking for a place to do my practicum I can find a school which has some of this technology in the building.

Besides our SU online courses, have any of you had experience with this? I'm interested to hear what it is like and how well it works out in the "real world".

Alicia

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Sparent said...

I have to agree with you on the tech stuff. Sometimes I think we become too reliant on technology, and then when it is not there, people are just lost. The other day, our neighbor came over to use our phone, because her daughter had dropped her cell in the toilet, and they did not have any other phone in the house. Could you imagine if there was an emergency, and your cell went out and there was not a regular phone in your house. And I have found that taking classes online and working on computers all day at work has made me really appreciate the time I get to curl up on the couch and read a regular old book.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I agree that we have become reliant on technology. I remember last year our power went out for a few days and I felt completely lost. I had to go to the local library for a computer/internet connection to keep up on my classes, and I can't tell you how many times I flipped the switch expecting a light to come on. To comment on Tracy's cell phone story, I don't have a land line so I would be in the same boat. AIM would be by backup in that case, or a trip to a payphone (don't see those much anymore!). Backup plans should be in effect when technology doesn't perform the way its supposed to!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

As I mentioned in the class discussion, my daughter is a junior in high school and she is taking Italian through OCC through a course via the television. They use web cams to see the teacher and for her to see them. Several school districts are participating at the same time, but most of the districts are small (all Oswego county) and each district only has a few kids participating). The class is monitored by a TA in the room. Tests are faxed in by the TA as well as faxed back by the professor. It's just like a college class, but totally via the web camera. She loves it. They have not have any problems with the technology shutting down as of yet. All classes are videotaped for students that are absent. The kids love it!

Lisa

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home